Ever wonder how you can make an income online? Thousands of people teach kids English online in order to earn money remotely. It is one of the best jobs out there for aspiring digital nomads thanks to high pay and flexibility.
In this post, learn exactly what it takes to teach kids English online and which companies are worth applying to.
How Much Can You Make From Teaching Kids English Online?
Online English teachers can make anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars per month to well over $4,000 per month. Your pay will depend on which company you work for and how many hours you choose to work.
Many teachers choose to teach kids English online as a side job and others use it as their full-time job.
Do I Need To Speak Another Language To Teach Kids English Online?
It is completely unnecessary to speak another language. All online English teaching platforms are immersive, meaning you’ll only be speaking to your students in English.
Before I began teaching online, I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to communicate with students that couldn’t speak any English. You’ll learn quickly that body language and props can help you interact with beginner students; they all catch on very quickly.
How Long Does It Take To Get Started?
Every online English teaching platform is different in regards to the hiring process. Some companies require their teachers to complete long orientation training, while others have their teachers present a short demo.
On average, it takes approximately 1-2 weeks to start and complete a hiring process with any given company. Completing this process will allow you to teach kids English online and start making a remote income.
Do I Need A Teaching Certificate Or Degree To Teach Kids English Online?
Yes, all of the companies listed below require a Bachelor’s degree in any subject. This is a law set by the Ministry of Education in China, therefore there is no way around it.
In addition, many companies either require or look extremely positively on those who hold a teaching certificate. This could be a teaching certificate from your home state/country or a TEFL/TESOL (teach English as a foreign language) certification.
If you’re interested in obtaining your TEFL certificate, you can do it online through this link:
The 120-hour course will suffice. It’s internationally recognized and accredited, unlike many other online TEFL courses. It’s also very easy to complete through TEFL Premier. Mike and I highly recommend it.
Pay: VIPKID states that its teachers earn anywhere from $14-22 per hour. In my experience, teachers don’t make less than $18 per hour thanks to incentives like finishing a certain number of classes per month and showing up to class on time.
I currently make $21 per hour with VIPKID; I have been teaching with them for nearly two years.
Application Process: the VIPKID application process includes a basic info form, a short demo recording, and a mock class before you can sign your contract. In my experience, it takes approximately two weeks from the initial basic info form until you can teach your first class. This time varies from teacher to teacher.
Another popular company for teaching kids English online is called Magic Ears. You’ll notice that Magic Ears and VIPKID are very similar in many aspects but differ slightly on a few things.
Teach Kids English Online With Magic Ears: Pros
1. Magic Ears offers higher pay than many other companies.
Teach Kids English Online With Magic Ears: Cons
1. Fewer teaching hours offered than VIPKID.
2. 4-to-1 student to teacher ratio. You’ll need to manage four students at once.
More About Magic Ears
Requirements: a Bachelor’s degree, eligibility to work in the US or Canada, experience, and a teaching certificate (TEFL or TESOL).
Pay: Magic Ears pays their teachers once a month. They offer competitive pay ranging from $18-26 per hour. Pay is determined by experience and type of degree.
Hours: as with the majority of these companies, you’ll be teaching English to Chinese students. Teaching hours revolve around the Beijing timezone.
Application Process: the application for Magic Ears is very similar to VIPKID. You’ll begin by submitting your initial basic info application. From here you’ll need to complete a demo, teacher training, and a trial class before signing your contract.
Up and coming online English teaching company, GoGoKid, has made quite the splash. With their generous pay and bonuses, this is a great company to consider if you want to teach kids English online.
Teach Kids English Online With GoGoKid: Pros
1. GoGoKid offers higher pay than many other online English teaching companies.
2. The hiring process is straightforward and simple.
Teach Kids English Online With GoGoKid: Cons
1. Similar to VIPKID, parents are responsible for booking classes with teachers. Because of this, teachers aren’t guaranteed classes.
More About GoGoKid
Requirements: a Bachelor’s degree, a native English speaker with a neutral accent, one year of teaching experience, and eligibility to work in the US or Canada.
Pay: GoGoKid offers its teachers $14-25 per hour. Based on reviews from current GoGoKid teachers, hourly pay is typically around $23-24 per hour.
Hours: with GoGoKid you’ll teach kids English online during peak Beijing hours. Just like VIPKID and MagicEars, this means early mornings for Americans and Canadians.
Application Process: GoGoKid’s hiring process is much quicker and easier than VIPKID’s. In order to become a GoGoKid teacher, you must fill-out your basic information, pass an interview, and complete an orientation session.
SayABC is another established online English teaching company from China. SayABC is one of the few platforms that hires native English speakers from all over the world.
Teach Kids English Online With SayABC: Pros
1. SayABC hires native English speakers from all over the world rather than just the US and Canada.
2. SayABC offers generous bonuses to teachers when new students sign up or when teaching short notice lessons. This can greatly increase your SayABC pay.
3. As an established company, SayABC is reliable and professional. Knowing that your company is well-established puts your mind at ease. I’ve known other companies to shut down and close their doors to their teachers without notice.
Teach Kids English Online With SayABC: Cons
1. With SayABC, you’ll be teaching in a group class setting.
2. SayABC doesn’t offer as many teaching hours as VIPKID or other online English teaching companies.
More About SayABC
Requirements: a Bachelor’s degree, a native English speaker, one year of experience working with children, and preferably a TESOL or TEFL certification.
Pay: SayABC teachers can earn up to $19 per hour (classes last for 40 minutes).
Hours: since SayABC classes last for 40 minutes, teaching timeslots are a bit funky. Check out their timeslots in the picture below.
Application Process: the application process includes a basic info form, an interview, and orientation. After completing these steps, you’ll be able to sign your contract and begin teaching.
Sign up for SayABC using my referral code: E1PBT
Check out DaDaABC, an online English teaching platform that focuses on teacher satisfaction.
Teach Kids English Online With DaDaABC: Pros
1. 1-on-1 teaching. You will only be teaching one student at a time.
2. DaDaABC ensures that every teacher has classes.
3. Hires native English speakers from around the world.
Teach Kids English Online With DaDaABC: Cons
1. Minimum of 10 working hours per month. Take into consideration that this is far less than many other online English teaching companies.
Pay: expect to earn between $15-25 per hour with the opportunity to receive generous bonuses and pay raises.
Hours: Beijing hours
Application Process: DaDaABC isn’t very clear about their hiring process, however, I do know there are at least 4 steps. The initial basic info/resume screening, an interview, a mock class, and training.
With few benefits to make QKids stand out against the competition, it’s difficult to see why an aspiring teacher would choose this company over others. Still a legitimate online English teaching platform, I’ll let you make that decision.
Teach Kids English Online With QKids: Pros
1. Slower internet speeds are required to teach for QKids.
Teach Kids English Online With QKids: Cons
1. QKids teachers must be physically in the United States or Canada to conduct classes. Other online English teaching companies allow their teachers to work from anywhere in the world as long as the internet is stable.
2. A minimum of 6 working hours is required each week.
3. Far fewer available teaching hours than VIPKID.
More About QKids
Requirements: a Bachelor’s degree, eligibility to work in the US or Canada, experience preferred, and a teaching certificate (TESOL or TEFL).
Pay: $16-20 per hour.
Hours: Beijing hours
Application Process: the application process for QKids includes a basic info section, a short video interview, two demo interviews, and a trial class period.
Although quite similar to other online English teaching companies on this list, give Landi a peek!
Teach Kids English Online With Landi: Pros
1. Low internet speeds are required by this company. Although many companies say that they require faster speeds, teachers can get by with lower speeds.
Teach Kids English Online With Landi: Cons
1. Landi requires a minimum of 12 hours per week (at least four days per week). This puts a damper on flexibility.
2. 2-to-1 student to teacher ratio. You’ll be teaching two students at once.
More About Landi
Requirements: a Bachelor’s degree, a neutral accent, a TEFL certificate or other teaching certificate, and experience working with children is preferred.
Pay: as a Landi teacher, expect to earn between $13-23 per hour. Pay is dependent on your teaching experience and your interview performance.
Hours: since Landi is another company with headquarters in China, you’ll need to accommodate Beijing hours.
Application Process: in order to start teaching with Landi, you’ll need to submit your resume. The next steps include an interview, training, and a mock lesson. When these steps are complete, you’ll begin orientation. Following this, you can start teaching classes.
A newer online English teaching company hopes to give other platforms a run for their money. Check out what BlingABC has to offer its teachers.
Teach Kids English Online With BlingABC: Pros
1. Very high pay rate and excellent bonuses.
2. Hires native English speakers from around the world, not just the USA and Canada.
Teach Kids English Online With BlingABC: Cons
1. Schedules are set far in advance, making flexibility difficult. You’ll need to be available for an entire term.
2. BlingABC works with group classes.
More About BlingABC
Requirements: a Bachelor’s degree, a TEFL or TESOL certificate, a native English speaker, and teaching experience is required.
Pay: BlingABC pays its teachers $24-32 per hour. Some teachers with exceptional backgrounds can make up to $51 per hour.
Hours: Beijing hours
Application Process: BlingABC has a lengthy hiring process. Begin by submitting your resume and completing an interview/demo. Next, enroll in orientation and training classes. From here, you’ll need to pass your mock class before you can begin teaching classes.
9. Whales English
By no means should Whales English be your last resort to teach kids English online. Whales English is a fast-growing online English teaching platform and after reviewing their website and speaking to current teachers, I was very impressed by what this company offers.
Take a look at their amazing resume and see if this is the right company for you.
Teach Kids English Online With Whales English: Pros
1. Whales English has a fantastic reputation in China.
2. They offer very high pay. Some teachers can earn upwards of $30+ per hour.
3. There is an opportunity to teach more than just English classes including science, reading, and social studies.
4. Whales English hires teachers from any native English speaking country including Australia, the UK, New Zealand, USA, Ireland, and Canada.
Teach Kids English Online With Whales English: Cons
1. As a teacher with Whales English, you will be teaching classes of up to 3 students.
2. Teachers are paid once a month. This is very common with online English teaching companies.
3. You must be available to teach at least 8 hours per week during peak hours (Beijing time).
More About Whales English
Requirements: a Bachelor’s degree, one year of experience working with children, a native English speaker, and a teaching certification (TESOL, TEFL, etc.).
Pay: they offer their teachers $18-30 per hour depending on their qualifications, with the opportunity to earn bonuses.
Hours: it appears that teaching hours commence at 6:00 pm each day and end at 10:00 pm. On weekends, these hours are extended, starting at 8 am and ending at 10 pm. Remember, this is Beijing time.
Application Process: the application process for Whales English is significantly shorter than any other online English teaching company. You’ll start by completing your basic information. From here, pass a mock lesson. Then, you’ll be ready to sign your contract.
Can I Work For More Than One Company To Teach Kids English Online?
It is very common for online English teachers to work for more than one company. In fact, I would suggest it! Due to a lack of job security, working for two or more online English teaching companies is smart.
I also recommend this for new online English teachers. Many companies throw their teachers to the wolves. Or in other words, they don’t help them acquire classes. Teaching with more than one online English teaching company will increase the chances that you’ll get bookings right away.
What Equipment Is Needed To Teach Kids English Online?