Thinking about teaching English online with Qkids? After reading this review, you’ll be able to decide whether or not Qkids is the perfect teaching opportunity for you.
Qkids Review: What is Qkids?
Before we start this review, let me dive into the overarching question, what the heck is Qkids?
If you’ve never heard of this company before, Qkids is an online English teaching platform based in China that caters to young English language learners.
They connect young students with native English speaking teachers through a virtual classroom. Qkids is one of the biggest online English teaching companies with over 800,000 current students.
Is Qkids A Legit Company?
When I first discovered teaching English online, I was skeptical. I wasn’t sure that Qkids and other companies were legit. It seemed too good to be true.
This is a major deterrent for many other applicants, too. Is Qkids a legit company or a scam? Will they actually pay me? Will I actually get bookings?
The answer is yes. Qkids is a legit company. They have established themselves as one of the best online English teaching platforms in the world.
Check out these Qkids reviews from other teachers:
What Are The Qkids Requirements?
There are several requirements that you must meet in order to be considered for Qkids. Here are a few teacher and tech requirements to review before putting in your Qkids application:
In order to work with Qkids you must have all of the following:
1. A Bachelor’s degree in any subject
Qkids does check to see if you have a degree. You must upload your diploma or proof of degree to complete the hiring process.
2. The legal right to work in the United States or Canada (not California – sorry!)
It’s been said that you need to physically be in the US or Canada in order to work with Qkids. So, if you’re planning on traveling, you’ll need to get a VPN or find another online English teaching company.
3. A teaching license OR a TESOL/TEFL certificate
Don’t have a teaching license or a TESOL/TEFL certificate? No problem. I highly recommend getting your TEFL certificate through Premier TEFL.
This Qkids review would be incomplete without a breakdown of the company’s pay scale, however, the answer is complicated.
In general, Qkids teachers can make $16-20 per hour.
All Qkids teachers have a base pay of $8 per class with the possibility of earning an extra $2 per class based on teaching performance (rated by the parents) and the number of classes taught each week.
In order to receive those extra bonus incentives, you’ll need to teach 15 classes or more per week and receive at least 4 out of 5 stars from parent feedback.
These incentives are easily attainable, therefore the majority of teachers do earn the full $20 per hour.
Unlike other online English teaching companies that provide 1-on-1 classes, Qkids conducts classes with 1-4 students at a time.
All of the Qkids students are from China and range in age from 4-12 years old. You will be teaching students of all skill levels, so you’ll need to learn how to adjust your teaching methods to meet the individual needs of each student.
What Hours Can I Work With Qkids?
Qkids is a company based in China with a large majority of its students following Beijing Time.
This means that Qkids’ teaching hours revolve around Beijing Time, too. As a teacher living in the US or Canada, you’ll face early morning and late-night hours.
The following are available Qkids time slots (Beijing Time):
Monday – Friday: 6:30pm – 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 8:30am – 11:40am
Is There Maximum or Minimum Hours?
In total, there are 19 teaching hours each week, so there isn’t a possibility to earn a full-time income with Qkids. If you decide to teach all 19 hours each week, you can expect a monthly paycheck of around $1500.
Unfortunately, Qkids does implement minimum teaching hours for every teacher. In order to work with Qkids, you’ll need to have a minimum of 6 teaching hours available each week (12 lessons).
What Is The Curriculum Like?
The Qkids curriculum is very easy to teach because it focuses on learning games. Your students will learn new English concepts by playing these games.
Will I Need To Make Lesson Plans?
Qkids provides all of the teaching materials needed for a successful classroom; lesson planning is completely unnecessary.
Another positive aspect of Qkids is that you will not need to purchase or use props during class. While other online English teaching companies stress the importance of props, Qkids focuses on using games to keep the students engaged.
What Is The Qkids Application Process Like?
There are approximately 7 steps to the Qkids application process. Here is what you’re up against before you can begin teaching with Qkids:
1. Submit all required documents
The required documents include your resume, teaching availability (you must be available 6 hours or more each week), and your computer specs (they expect you to take a picture or a screenshot of this information).
2. Initial Screening
For the initial screening, Qkids expects you to record an introduction of yourself. Tell them where you live, your experience with children, and your educational background.
Next, you’ll be telling a children’s story. Make sure to be animated and outgoing when telling your story.
3. Demo Interview 1 & 2
For the first demo interview, Qkids will provide a lesson plan. Your job will be to study and prepare this lesson plan because you’ll be teaching this lesson to a Qkids employee. Note that the employee will be acting as a young child.
The demo lesson is easy to understand and present, but make sure you are prepared and know the material.
4. Background Check
As with any online English teaching company, you’ll need to agree and pass a background check.
5. Trial Classes
Just like the demo interviews, you’ll be given a lesson plan for two trial classes. Study and practice these lesson plans so that you’re well-prepared for your Qkids trial classes.
Note: you will be paid your regular salary for these trial classes, which is a huge plus. Most companies do not offer pay during the hiring process, but Qkids does!
The last step in the Qkids hiring process will be signing your contract. Your contract will be effective for 6 months.
Is Qkids A Good Company To Work For?
Based on my opinion and reviews from other Qkids teachers, this is an awesome company to work for. They are fair when it comes to bookings and the classroom atmosphere is a lot of fun.
I hope this review paints a positive picture of Qkids because it truly is a high-quality company. If you are looking for a fun and reliable side job, this is the one for you.
Which Is Better Qkids or VIPKID?
In this section of my Qkids review, I’m going to compare the two biggest online English teaching companies, Qkids and VIPKID.
These are two very different companies that offer completely different teaching experiences. Check out which online English teaching company will be the best fit for you.
1. The best part about teaching for Qkids is that the company books classes rather than the parents. This means that you won’t be struggling to get classes as a new teacher.
2. Another positive aspect of teaching with Qkids is the hiring process. It is easy and straightforward.
3. You’ll also notice that Qkids doesn’t require props. Being able to not worry about obtaining props for each lesson is a breath of fresh air.
1. VIPKID offers full-time hours. After you’ve established a student base, it’s very easy to book classes for 40+ hours each week.
2. Classes with VIPKID are 1-on-1. I’ve found that teaching one student is more effective than teaching multiple students at once.
3. The VIPKID TESOL certification is a huge bonus for aspiring teachers. You won’t need to acquire your TESOL course from an outside source, which can save you money.
1. Qkids conducts 4-to-1 classes. This means you’ll be teaching up to four students at once. I’ve found that teaching multiple students at once is much more difficult than teaching one.
2. Qkids doesn’t offer pay raises. With that said, new Qkids teachers are actually earning more money than new VIPKID teachers.
3. With Qkids, you will only be able to work a maximum of 19 hours per week. If you’re looking for a full-time job, you’ll need to find a way to supplement your Qkids salary.
1. The biggest complaint about VIPKID is bookings. New teachers struggle greatly with bookings. This has only gotten worse over time.
2. Another negative aspect of teaching with VIPKID is that the hiring process is extremely demanding.
3. VIPKID recently changed their payment structure, which means that new teachers are earning far less than what they used to earn.
If you want to teach with Qkids, sign up using this link: Qkids Teach. By using this link, my friend (Taylor) will become your referring teacher. As an experienced Qkids teacher, Taylor will happily help you through the hiring process.
If you decide to use her link, send her an email (email@example.com) so that she’ll be able to send tips and advice to get you through the process.
The Wrap-Up: Qkids Review
All in all, Qkids is an awesome company to work for. I hope that the information in this review helped you decide if Qkids is the right choice for you.